Saturday 12 November 2011

Poem

Kate Broadhurst (Bannatyne)

Dartington Years 1975 -1982



The Memory Box

By Kate Broadhurst (Bannatyne)


It was in this room

he rolled the orb across my desk

like a small sun

smiled and said

describe for me this orange.


From these porous walls

I learned to drink flowers

sing spirals of colour

follow a sonnet

and read every curve of the river.


In this rare place

I traced the outline of his face

and learned how to see

between the lines

with my eyes half-closed.


Deep in this copse

I learned to be bold

and climbed half-way up

to scar my heart

into big beech bark.


In here I was taught

to diminish the seventh

that three can recur

and first asked the question

but how do you know?


It was in this box cupboard

under these stairs

I learned to drink apples

and feel for his lips

soft in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment